Monday, April 5, 2010

Wonderful weekend

I hope everyone has had a wonderful Easter. With the weather so warm, it was lovely here. We went downtown on Saturday for some last-minute Easter shopping. Then Sunday I took the kids to Church. They decorated (more) eggs and ate way too much candy. After lunch, we all drove to the park and walked along the waterfront and in the woods. Here are some pics:


Emma and Rowan climbing one of the parks many rocks. On the other side of that bluff is the seaside! Not nice swimming water, though. I don't let my kids near that water--so very, very gross!
I'm up on that bluff, now, and looking to one side. There are two beaches here. This is the second one, and is (obviously) rocky. The other side (behind the camera) is sandy. Again, yucky water. I don't let the kids pick up much beach debris. Last year the water was much cleaner.

All there is to find are mussel shells, sea urchins, and the odd crab leg. And yucky stuff (won't mention what, but this is a city beach, so you can use your imagination).


Even a yucky-water beach can still be very pretty.




This picture reminds me of Elsa Beskow's Children of the Forest. On one of the last pages, spring has come and the streams are full of meltwater. The forest children are busy paddling and playing. But there is no risk of getting wet, cold, and sick, for "no child of the forest ever catches a cold" (or something like that). Rowan, on the other hand, is very susceptible to getting sick.



And Rowan picking coltsfoot flowers and a red-squirrel.

Today we went to another beach, but my camera was dying so I left it at home (no pics, sorry!). It was so warm, there were children running about in their bathing suits! This beach is clean with white, imported sand. But there weren't any shells to collect. We'll have to take a trip to a beachcombing type beach this summer. I love collecting beach glass!

No comments:

Post a Comment