Saturday, January 23, 2010

Under the weather

Two nights ago, I felt unreasonably tired. I'm a night owl, so I knew something was wrong when I was exhausted by 10 pm. Then yesterday, I developed the sniffles. Today my cold has finally arrived, and there is no denying it. So I've stayed put and gently puttered inside.

I've taken several doses of fresh garlic to help me ward off this cold. Garlic has natural anti-viral properties, so it helps our bodies fight against viral infections. I usually mince a small clove of garlic and swallow with (soy)milk, though I may try making an oil preparation as described on page 96 of The Way of Herbs (1990) by Michael Tierra, C.A., N.D.

For my sore throat, and also to help fight the cold, I boiled up a strong ginger tea. Tierra's recipe is simple: grate one ounce ginger root and simmer for about 10 minutes in a pint of water; serve with honey and lemon! This tea also relieves nausea (Tierra 95).

No comments:

Post a Comment