Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Waiting to needle felt again


I've put an order through to one of my favourite Canadian Waldorf suppliers, Bear Dance Crafts. I've asked for a few posters by artist Eva-Maria Ott-Heidmann and I managed to buy their last copy of Elsa Beskow's Pelle's New Suit for Ben's birthday. But, mostly, I bought a lot of crafting supplies. In particular, I'm stocking up on their very reasonably priced wool roving.

One wonderful way to use wool roving is to give small amounts to children to play with. It is the perfect natural toy. They can fashion into small treasures of their own, or use as is for pretend food or animals on a playscape. My children have used small tufts of white, for example, on a green playsilk to make sheep. Mostly, the wool gets stuffed into a pot and 'cooked' for supper!

The wool in the basket above is nearly the last of my fairy-wool that I bought years ago. This time, though, I bought regular corriedale in specific shades, as well as a pound of white roving for the base work and toy stuffing.

Here are some items I've crafted in the past few years. First, my 'mother and baby.' This red and blue doll represents me holding Ben. When I made it, he was about this small (in relation to the mother doll). It's hard to imagine, now...

The doll in green is what I've made in anticipation of Spring. It is Candlemas today, but the sun is shining so it looks like my doll won't be visiting the nature table for quite some time.

In the meantime, my snowman will have to stay out. He was easy to make from three balls of wool felted on top of each other. The eyes and buttons are teensy tufts of dark brown wool; the nose is carefully made with a whisp of orange. I think I need to scavenge some tiny twigs for arms.


I've been scouring the internet for ideas on how to use my new roving. Here is a site I found today that is full of wonderful ideas. I would love to make a playscape for my children's wee fairy folk (I'll have to do a post on these sometime soon). Here's another website that gives a tutorial on how to make a playscape. 



No comments:

Post a Comment