Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A late Candlemas

We meet almost every Wednesday afternoon with friends for a Homeschool Waldorf Playgroup. It's nice to be able to talk to other moms who have similar parenting/schooling philosophies to myself. But best of all, the kids get to play with their friends and immerse themselves in imaginative play.

Today, playgroup was in my home. Since Candlemas was only yesterday (a sunny day, but where we live a long winter is always expected), we had decided to have a mini-celebration today on our regular playgroup day. I supplied the Stockmar decorating beeswax and everyone came with their own candles. Our guests had all brought beautiful and sweet-smelling beeswax candles. My old beeswax pillar was, unfortunately, burnt very low and previously decorated. I gave my own children regular emergency candles to decorate and they worked just as well. And the next time there is a power failure, we'll be able to remember how much fun we had today! Here is Rowan decorating his candle.


And here is the candle being decorated by some of our friends.
Next year, I think we might try making our own candles, either by dipping or pouring the candles in a mould. This year I was worried that most of the children were still too young, and we mothers with babies had our hands full! Give it another year and it will be a more manageable craft.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicola,
    I just had a chance to catch up on your blog! It is so inspiring to me and I'm always so amazed by your beautiful handwork, home and children!!!

    ReplyDelete